Chanzo: UNDP Website
Tarehe Iliyotolewa: 2022-05-04
Kituo cha Kazi/Tukio: Tanzania
Imetembelewa mara! 3889 ... Deadline: 2022-05-13 06:59:00
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) is the UN’s global development network whose focus is to help countries build and share solutions to the challenges of sustainable development as informed by the 2030 sustainable development agenda. The overall focus for UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) Tanzania is to support the Government of Tanzania to improve the lives of the people through strategic programmatic areas of Inclusive Democratic Governance, Inclusive Economic Growth and Sustainable Livelihoods and Environment Sustainability, Climate Change and Resilience.
UNDP and the European Union have recently signed a Contribution Agreement to support the Government of Tanzania through the Ministry of Energy and collaborating partners to achieve the overall objective of ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all in Tanzania. The project will fast track implementation of key Energy Efficiency actions and prepare a comprehensive Energy Efficiency Action Plan (EEAP), which will be integrated with the Tanzania Energy Efficiency Strategy (TEES) in support of the National Energy Policy and strategic goals set by the Tanzania National Development Vision 2025. In addition to EEAP, other key actions under this project are included.
- Development of Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) and Labelling,
- Development and implementation of a framework for energy performance certification in large buildings,
- Enhancement of Energy Consumption Data of Large Energy Consumers,
- Development and implementation of a framework for the management of large energy consumers,
- Development of professional qualifications and skills in Energy Management and Audit,
- Creation of Energy Efficiency Awareness of the Public
- Strengthening of coordination on EEAP implementation.
The project is expected to help the country in strengthening Legal, Regulatory, Institutional framework, and administrative actions to support implementation and introduction of Energy Efficiency actions; help large energy consumers and general users to identify and implement quantifiable investments in Energy Efficiency; help in capacity and skills development, jobs creation and increase employability in the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy services and technology sector, particularly for women and youth; and increase public awareness, access to information, stakeholder dialogue and visibility of financial, economic, and societal benefits of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
The National Energy Efficiency Expert will support the implementation of the project in general and advice on the best opportunities for delivering projects’ outcomes. The Expert will be specifically responsible to coordinate the Development of professional qualifications and skills in Energy Management and Audit. The Expert will work with the Dar es Salaam Institutte of Technologies (DIT) and Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization (TIRDO).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and support the adoption of new regulation framework for professional qualifications and certification in Energy Management and Audit, including procedures and methodologies for the certification of Energy Managers, Energy Auditors and Building Certifiers and for Energy Auditing Firms (EAF) accreditation.
- Support design and implementation of trainings at TIRDO and DIT for Energy Managers (EM), Energy Auditors (EA) and Building Certifiers (BC), including development of equipment use capabilities of DIT personnel and enhancement of training capabilities of DIT personnel;
- Technical advice and support to the procurement of equipment for the new Energy Efficiency laboratory at DIT.
- Support for setting up and maintain a register of certified EM, EA, BC and EAF and Publication of the Regulation Framework and the list of certified EM, EA, BC and EA firms on EWURA website, MOE website, Gazette of Tanzania.
- Design and implement international activities for DIT students and measures to support education of girls/women;
- Provide technical backstopping to experts, consultants and supervise their delivery in line with their contractual agreements and ToRs; ensuring that payments are made accordingly.
- Identify, in a timely manner any problems, needs and opportunities, alert PCU and PMU, undertake appropriate actions within hers/his mandate and possibility, and propose measures to be undertaken at project level.
- Organizing and facilitating meetings, in person, online conference calls and the like;
- organizing and delivering capacity building and knowledge development for effective result deliveries under biannual/annual program plans;
- Maintaining effective project reporting and communication internally and externally inline.
- Prepare and regularly update the Work plan related to the project component and submit it to the project board for approval.
- Monitors project’s progress, measure performance and budget, and prepares progress reports.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
The Expert will be embedded within the Dar es Salaam Institutte of Technologies (DIT) and will report to the ProjectManager and the UNDP Project Focal Point. The Expert will work closely the Tanzania Industrial Researh and Development Organization (TIRDO) and the the rest of the experts and relevant institutions.
Achieve Results: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact.
Think Innovatively: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems.
Learn Continuously: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences.
Adapt with Agility: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands.
Act with Determination: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results.
Engage and Partner: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration.
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity.
Technical /Functional Competencies:
Portfolio management: Ability to select, priorities and control the organizations programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as- usual, while optimizing return on investment.
Project management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Resource mobilization: Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical in line with principles of accountability and integrity.
Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organizational /project’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
Result based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Communications: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Effective decision making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Required Skills and Experience
A Master's degree in Project Management, Energy Planning, Energy Engineering, or related disciplines is required or Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Energy Planning, Energy Engineering or related disciplines is required.
- Minimum of 0 years (master’s degree) or 2 years (bachelor’s degree) of professional experience in energy-related programmes, project management, monitoring, implementation and evaluation is required;
- Experience working with UNDP will be an added advantage;
- Good knowledge of the programming cycle (planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation);
- Political awareness and understanding of socio-economic factors;
- Good knowledge of PC software (including a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office;
- Research and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for designing and assessing the quality and efficiency of process execution;
- Ability to interpret and work within applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders;
- Demonstrate ability to conduct detailed technical and quantitative analysis;
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to manage competing priorities;
- Ability to oversee the work of and provide guidance to staff;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behavior;
Language: Excellent command of English and Swahili is a requirement.
Travel: Regular travels to Dar es salaam, Morogoro and Arusha are expected.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR THE JOB