Chanzo: UNDP web
Tarehe Iliyotolewa: 2022-04-23
Kituo cha Kazi/Tukio: Zanzibar
Imetembelewa mara! 3610 ... Deadline: 2022-05-05 15:30:00
As one of the original eight pilot countries for the UN Reform initiative Delivering as One, Tanzania is a global leader in advancing reforms of the UN system, with a view to support accelerated harmonization in implementation practices, coherence in programming, and alignment with national systems, intended to produce a reduction in transaction costs and enhanced development impact.
Deepening reforms requires new and innovative ways for the UN agencies to work together. Programme planning, resource mobilization, evaluation, and review activities is expected to be done collaboratively within the UNSDCF. The UN reforms has called for increased harmonization of UN policies, procedures, and common premises.
The United Republic of Tanzania has defined a range of development goals in the medium-term development plans Five Year Development Plan (FYDP) III in Mainland and Zanzibar Medium Term Development Plan (ZADEP) in Zanzibar. These include the creation of high-quality livelihoods; peace, stability, and unity; good governance; a well-educated and learning society; and a competitive economy capable of sustainable growth and shared benefits. The next UNSDCF and the UNDP Country Programme Document in Tanzania calls for an integrated and Area Based Programming guided by UN values and principles of programming. The Deputy Head of Office of UNDP in Zanzibar is a key contributor to ensuring a coherent and coordinated delivery of UNDP priorities within the context of the UNSDCF in Zanzibar.
Under the direct supervision of the CTA heading the Zanzibar Office and in coordination with the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), the Deputy Head of Zanzibar UNDP Office, supports and advises the Head of Office in setting the strategic direction at the local level and oversees all the operations and programmatic activities.
The Deputy Head of Office has formal delegated authority from the RR (in writing) to represent the UNDP country programme at the local level and perform management functions when the CTA HoZ Office is unavailable.
The Deputy Head of Office supervises the office staff and, in matrix supervision with the project and programme managers is also responsible of the project staff working in the geographic area of responsibility, ensuring cross-unit cooperation and coordination. The Deputy Head of Zanzibar Office ensures a client-oriented approach and consistency with UNDP rules and regulations in conformity with the UNDP Internal Control Framework and good management practice. The Deputy Head of Office advises the country office senior management on Zanzibar programme, cost effectiveness and responses to emerging complex challenges in managing the ZNZ Office.
The incumbent will work closely with internal and external counterparts, including Government, national institutions, civil society, private sector as well as Development Partners c, to successfully deliver UNDP programme at the local level.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
In this section list up to five primary functions/accountabilities of the position (Typically one sentence each) and examples of duties that must be performed to successfully accomplish key responsibilities.
Together with the CTA HoZ Office, to ensure the strategic direction of UNDP programme in Zanzibar focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of UNDP key programme and policy documents.
- Identification of strategic programmes/areas of cooperation for UNDP support in Zanzibar
- Operationalization of UNSDCF / CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies (including identification of areas of collaboration, possibilities for joint programmes. etc.)
- Contribute to the formulation of UNDP policies and ensure their implementation among UNDP staff and projects in Zanzibar
- Contribute to CO business processes mapping and establishment of Internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the UNDP personnel in Zanzibar, and to the CO Integrated Work Plan (IWP)
Ensures effective management of the UNDP programme and supervision of the Project and Operations teams focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation until M&E and reporting achieving the following results:
- Is responsible, in close collaboration with relevant Programme units at the country office level, for the implementation of the CO strategic direction and oversight and quality control of the programme
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC), identification of risks and risk management measures, and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing, and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. ARR(P) performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Ensures timely and consistent implementation of audit recommendations in close collaboration with Programme Managers/Officers and DCD/O. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports in close collaboration with respective Programme Managers/Officers.
- Ensures timely and regular reporting to Senior Management Team in Dar Es Salaam on the Zanzibar activities
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Manager.
- Supervise UNDP Project and Operations teams to ensure that Performance Management and Development Plans are prepared and reviewed, and that UNDP staff behave in an ethical manner
- Contribute to inter-agency UN programming processes in Zanzibar (UNDAP reviews, Thematic Results Group discussions, etc.) in accordance with the DAO approach
Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization in cooperation with the Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address Zanzibar’s development problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Identification and Organization of appropriate trainings for the operations/ project staff
Management of common services in the UN sub-office in close collaboration with the DCD/O focusing on achievement of the following:
- Preparation of a reasonable annual Common Services budget for the UN sub-office, in consultation with the participating UN agencies and assists in the preparation of mid-year and annual CS expenditure reports
- Management of the CS budget by ensuring that all expenditures are in accordance with the approved CS budget
- Management of CS staff to ensure that Performance Management and Development Plans are prepared and reviewed
- Provides policy support on the development and management of common services arrangements to/by participating organizations / agencies at the sub office level.
- Ensures the effective and timely provision of Common services including financial, human resources, procurement, and logistics, to the UN sub-office
- Ensures that the implementation of common services and joint arrangements benefit UNDP in its objective to provide efficient and economical support services to the implementation of the country programme.
- Ensure quality control and full compliance of operations management with UN/UNDP operations rules, regulations, policies and procedures, implementation of corporate operational strategies.
- Establishment of collaborate arrangements with partners and appropriate operational partnership arrangements.
- Master’s degree in International Development, Economic, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, or other relevant development areas is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Economic, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, or other relevant development areas is required.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum 5 years (Masters) or 7 years (Bachelor) of relevant experience is required.
- National or international level in providing management advisory services.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili, good communication skills is required.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- External Relations & Advocacy strategy and implementation Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with side networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Digital & Innovation Digital marketing: Knowledge of digital marketing methods and ability to apply them practically
- Partnership management: Resource mobilization: Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
- Ethics UN policy knowledge - ethics Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity
- Operations Management Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner
- Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR THE JOB