Tarehe Iliyotolewa: 2023-02-28
Kituo cha Kazi/Tukio: TANZANIA
Imetembelewa mara! 15755 ... Deadline: 2023-03-12 08:57:00
Operations Officer Assistant-G.5-(2301693)
Contractual Arrangement:Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days):12 months
:Feb 19, 2023, 10:51:02 PM
:Mar 12, 2023, 3:59:00 PM
:Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar-es-Salaam
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
* Purpose of the Position
As Assistant to the OO (Operations Officer), the incumbent will coordinate administrative support services in the WHO Country Office and ensure the smooth running of the office of the OO.
* Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objectives
Country Management Support Units (CSU) have been established in the organisational structure to provide support for Managers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters and transactions in the context of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
* Organizational context (Describe the individual role of the incumbent within the team, the guidance and supervision received and training or briefing provided to others)
The incumbent works on the basis of general instructions, own experience and precedents, following WHO or CSU-specific procedures and practices, rules and regulations, to ensure smooth work flow in the team/department. The incumbent is encouraged to seek guidance for unusual issues. Most of the work is controlled for correctness and appropriateness by the incumbent. Work is reviewed on an ad hoc basis by supervisors for meeting expectations and overall quality; correspondence is signed or cleared by originator. The incumbent is relied upon to brief colleagues on WHO CO specific administrative procedures and practices.
* Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives)
1. Oversee and monitor the information flow of the office of the OO screening, sorting, analysing, and identifying areas requiring action by the OO;
2. Ensure effective and timely follow up on requests for information, briefings, and other actions, emanating from the office of the OO, liaising with units/teams, as appropriate;
3. Work closely with the OO to ensure that requests for approval regarding workplan activities are raised on a timely and proactive manner in accordance with the laid down procedures while maintaining necessary and close liaison with the Programme Officers, Finance, and Procurement teams for timely execution;
4. Maintain OO’s agenda and calendar by scheduling meetings and/or rescheduling owing to disruption by unforeseen events, redirects callers as necessary;
5. Disseminate information on administrative procedures to all staff in the team/department and assist staff in adhering to WHO administrative procedures;
6. Monitor implementation of recommendations from the CSU’s meetings;
7. Make administrative arrangements for OO’s activities including preparation of various obligating documentation in GSM related to procurement of goods and services, including receipt, payment, and inventory requirements;
8. Coordinate and monitor office space requirements in liaison with relevant units as required.
1. Draft general or administrative correspondence on own initiative or on the basis of instructions; finalize correspondence/reports for signature/clearance;
2. Verify that outgoing correspondence is presented in accordance with WHO and department styles and checking language, grammar, and accuracy prior to submitting for signature and clearance;
3. Analyze incoming correspondence and requests in the light of background material, instructions, policies and precedents, researching, obtaining and attaching background information and identify areas requiring action by OO drawing attention to specific items;
4. Ensure that technical reports and documents are in line with WHO standards, rules, practices and procedures, editing and correcting them as necessary prior to their submission for signature or clearance of relevant authority;
5. Using appropriate tracking tools, follow-up on and ensure that target dates and deadlines are met, and that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner.
1. Monitor leave and attendance records, as required.
1. In close collaboration with other support staff, create and/or maintain filing systems; continual review of filing system to ensure information is up to date and effectively and efficiently used;
2. Obtain documents and information from in-house and external sources as required; perform information searches (library, internet) as requested;
3. Coordinate compilation of technical documents requested of and provided by professional staff, to ensure they are logically compiled, formatted, and assembled to facilitate the work of the Operations Officer.
1. Arrange, coordinate and lead administrative preparation for meetings, seminars, workshops, including: preparing event plans in GSM/Oracle, letters of invitation, cost estimates and travel requests; assisting with preparation of documents; dispatching of materials and liaising with participants and others involved;
2. Prepare presentations using PowerPoint and other software packages on own initiative or on the basis of instructions;
3. Schedule team/departmental meetings, according to schedules and need; taking minutes and following up on action points to ensure timely response to the requests of the WHO and preparation of minutes;
4. Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. to be attended by the team's professional staff, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents.
Using GSM/Oracle, prepare travel requests for official WHO travel. Make flight and hotel reservations, prepare travel files and deal with other related matters as requested or on own initiative.
Perform other related duties as required or instructed, including providing support to other areas of work.
3. Recruitment Profile
Competencies : Generic
Describe the core, management and leadership competencies required - See WHO competency model - list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones.
1. Knowing and managing yourself
2. Producing results
3. Foster integration and team work
4. Moving forward in a changing environment
5. Ensuring the effective use of resources
Functional Knowledge and Skills:-
*Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position.
The incumbent maintains and updates proficiency in the use of modern office technology through of in-house courses, on-the-job training or self-training. He/she keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations, organizational structure, in the department, the cluster and WHO, to be able to brief others and explain procedures.
Completion of secondary education or equivalent technical training or commercial education with specialization in secretarial studies or office administration.
Diploma in Secretarial Studies or Office Administration or Business Administration, or related fields from a recognized institution. Training in secretarial Studies and/or office administration.
Essential:- At least eight (8) years of progressive working experience in executive assistant and secretarial role with international organizations.
Desirable:- Experience with UN or other international or multi-national organizations . Experience working as an executive assistant in WHO/UN.
English Read: 1 Expert Knowledge
Write: 1 Expert Knowledge
Speak: 1 Expert Knowledge
Please indicate if language requirements for English and French are interchangeable. No
(e.g. English expert level required, French working level required OR French expert level
required, English working level required)
Other Considerations (e.g. Physical Workplace Condition, if other than normal office environment; IT Skills; etc.) Skills in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point)