Chanzo: UNHCR Careers
Tarehe Iliyotolewa: 2023-06-03
Kituo cha Kazi/Tukio: Tanzania
Imetembelewa mara! 6575 ... Deadline: 2023-06-10 02:19:00
Senior Human Resources Officer
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
job requisition id
Only candidates who are not nationals of the country of assignment are eligible to apply to this position
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
* Staff members will not normally serve in International Professional positions in the country of their nationality. In addition, in case of a first appointment upon recruitment, the assignment must be outside the staff member’s country of nationality.
In practical terms this means that you are not eligible to apply for International Professional vacancies advertised in the country where you are national of.
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
June 15, 2023
Standard Job Description
Senior Human Resources Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Human Resources Officer supports the UNHCR's People Strategy and contributes to the implementation of the 2018 independent Human Resources review, which resulted in the establishment of HR strategic priorities and the reconfiguration and transformation of the Division of Human Resources (DHR) from a largely transactional model into a strategic business partner for field operations and senior management. Having the right people in the right place at the right time is at the core of enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern. By attracting, retaining and developing a talented, diverse and agile workforce while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect and wellbeing for all, UNHCR¿s Human Resources acts as a strategic partner to the organization enabling a people-centric culture.
The Senior Human Resources Officer contributes to the development of a HR customer service-oriented culture that values proactivity, continuous improvement, innovation and high performance. By translating operational needs into workforce action and individual development needs, the Senior Human Resources Officer plays a critical role in partnering with management and the workforce. The main areas of work of the Senior Human Resources Officer include the implementation of HR policies, staff administration, workforce planning, recruitment, and talent development with inclusion, diversity and gender as a cross-cutting issue. S/he will also support the implementation of the staff health and counselling plans and in fostering an inclusive and respectful working environment. The incumbent maintains employee confidence and protects the organization and its workforce by keeping human resource information confidential.
The Senior Human Resources Officer is usually supervised by the Representative, Deputy or Assistant Representative responsible for HR in a Country Operation, or the most senior HR staff in a Regional Bureau. She/he supervises HR Professional and General Service staff.
The incumbent maintains a direct working relationship with a number of functions across the Division of Human Resources (DHR). For positions in Bureaux or Country Operations, the incumbent also works closely with the Senior HR Partner, the Senior Medical Officer and Senior Staff counsellor for his/her region.
He/she also maintains contact and close cooperation with other UN agencies in the region or country and represent UNHCR in the working groups/task forces within country/regional UN inter-agency mechanisms.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Strategic workforce advice and operational support:
- Engage with management to understand priorities, and provide advice and solutions on all aspects of HR in line with delegated HR authorities.
- Sponsor HR initiatives that support organizational culture change such as good people management practices, and promoting gender, inclusion and diversity.
- Lead HR operational activities to ensure timely provision of HR solutions, prioritizing according to the needs and risks.
Assignments and Talent Acquisition:
- Oversee the process of recruitment, assignment and reassignment of locally-recruited staff and affiliate workforce, ensuring compliance with UNHCR rules and procedures, and providing advice to managers where required.
- Set up and run (Regional) Assignments Committee.
- Take a proactive approach to risk management in the areas of recruitment, ensuring the issues are identified, addressed and reported and, where appropriate, escalated.
Advice to managers and staff, and contribution to an inclusive work environment:
- Build dialog and outreach with staff to provide support with their queries; and also promote dialog between staff and management to help find solutions to HR-related issues.
- Be proactive in identifying issues, themes and patterns affecting the workforce¿s health and welfare, including sexual harassment and abuse of authority.
- Ensure that on-boarding, induction, re-integration into the workplace and off-boarding support, is provided to colleagues; Induction programmes should include information on Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Sexual Harassment, Code of Conduct as well as workforce¿s rights and obligations.
HR policies and inter-agency:
- Ensure compliance with UNHCR¿s Human Resources policies and procedures and the UN staff rules, regulations and UNHCR administrative instructions.
- Participate in a network among HR staff members in the region in order to harmonize implementation of HR policies and initiatives, collect field insights to inform the development of DHR policies and activities; identify and share HR best practices, also through contacts with other UN agencies.
Duty of Care:
- Contribute to establishing and maintaining a medical evacuation plan with senior management, Field safety and the Senior Medical Officer.
- Support the development and implementation of a Duty of Care strategy. Identify and assess issues related to duty of care including physical, mental health and safety of UNHCR¿s workforce. Promote work/life balance and flexible working arrangements with managers and staff.
For positions in Regional Bureaux only:
- In the absence of a Senior Talent Development Officer in the Bureau:
- Implement a talent sourcing and development strategy for UNHCR workforce in the region, in line with UNHCR¿s needs and staff members¿ career planning.
- Equip HR teams and Managers in the region with skills on people management and tools related to talent development, career guidance and performance management.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Human Resources Management; Human Resource Development;
Personnel Administration; Business Administration; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Experience working in Human Resources. Sound knowledge of general HR policies, processes and systems. Managerial experience.
Proven ability to identify and implement successful business related HR interventions. Experience in some of the following areas: workforce planning, organizational design, recruitment, HR policy or talent development. Experience in HR information technology systems and tools. Experience in field humanitarian operations and/or emergency settings. Experience working with the United Nations. Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
HR-Local mass recruitment
HR-Coordination and Oversight of Workforce Mobility
HR-Inclusion, Diversity and Gender strategy design and implementation
HR-HR data and people analytics
HR-HR Business Partnering
HR-Employee Relationship Management
HR-Talent Development and Nurturing
SO-Critical Thinking and problem solving
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate should have solid UNHCR experience in HR management. S/he should be motivated, hardworking, able to juggle competing priorities. S/he should also possess excellent communication skills, negotiating capacity, good interpersonal and people management skills. S/he needs strong experience with national and AWF recruitments. Prior experience in the management of Assignment Committees. The incumbent must have a proven experience with processing and oversight of international recruitments, sound knowledge of the new recruitment policy and its implementation.”
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view the occupational safety and health considerations for Dar es Salaam, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
The Senior Human Resources Officer (SHRO) is a member of the Senior Management Team, working under the direct supervision of the Representative and leads a team of an Associate HR Officer, 2 Human Resources Associates and one Senior HR Asst. The SHRO provides technical guidance and capacity building support to both senior management and HR staff within TZ.
The SHRO shall ensure that HR services are provided in a client-oriented manner (while ensuring consistent ratio and harmonized condition of service among the existing workforce: UNHCR, UNOPS and other affiliates). S/he ensures integrity, transparency, fairness and professionalism in all HR matters. S/he provides guidance to managers and staff at large on HR matters, liaises and consults with relevant HQs Departments on policy level discussions, clarifications and confirmations. The SHRO needs to have a good understanding of HR dashboards and will be responsible for tracking of various staffing trends in the operation and presenting to the Senior Management as/when required to ensure diversity in the international recruitment and improving the gender balance of national workforce. S/he will be coordinating all staffing review processes and provide guidance to the Senior Management to ensure that the operation is rightly staff to effectively implement the operational strategies. The incumbent will act as the ex-Officio to the Assignment Committee. He/she will have a lead role in the first and second line of defence and oversight function of the work of Assignment Committee for Tanzania.
S/he is closely involved in addressing issues of staff relations and grievances, conflict management, counselling, providing advice on support and complaint mechanisms, as well as ensuring that staff welfare is attended at all level within the operation, maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and compliance with the prevailing rules and regulations.
The incumbent will be expected to monitor the status of active international Job Requisitions and support managers in the recruitment process. The incumbent will monitor, through the HR associates and Senior HRAs, active local and AWF job requisitions and ensure that timelines are respected, and positions filled in a timely manner.
Living and Working Conditions:
Dar es Salaam is the major city of the United Republic of Tanzania where the Representation office is situated. The location of the Representation Office is in Masaki, Rufiji Street, and Off Haile Selassie Road. Most international staff members live in the seaside neighborhoods of Masaki and Oyster Bay, and to a lesser extent in Msasani and Mikocheni all of which cluster in and around a peninsula to the north of the city Centre. Masaki and Oyster Bay share the advantages of having a good concentration of internationally-oriented housing and amenities including shops, schools and medical facilities; all are comparatively secure, and of course, enjoy the benefit of being close to the sea. The cost of living is considered high.
Security Conditions: The duty station can be described as relatively safe with a stable political environment. However, caution should be exercised when walking in the dark.
Bachelor of Arts (BA): Administration (Required), Bachelor of Arts (BA): Human Resources Management (Required), Bachelor of Arts (BA): Law (Required)
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Change capability & adaptability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Leadership, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Strategic planning & visions, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Add. 2 to March 2023 Compendium - Part B
This position requires Functional Clearance